Hi There! I'm Derek, and I get addicted to everything: people, math puzzles, coding, intractable research questions, books, creating music, video games, and the #random channel in the CS61A Slack group.
Here are some highlights of my life:
- Finalist at the 2015 American Short Course Championships
- Raced in the same pool as Michael Phelps in Texas
- Overall third place finisher in the 2014 Navy SEAL Challenge as a 16-year-old.
- 2x CIF Champion in swimming
- Junior National bonus in the 100-yard backstroke
- Represented America at the 2010 North American Challenge Cup
- Pre-med (ex-Neurobiology major) at UC Berkeley
- One of 33 winners of the international 2015 DuPont Challenge essay contest
- National semifinalist in the 2015 USABO
- Working with Dr. Deborah Dean to develop a low-cost diagnostic tool for Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Second author on accepted CBRS 2019 conference abstract: “Global diversity of the Chlamydia trachomatis tryptophan operon reveals evolutionary trends among ocular, urogenital and rectal strains”
- Majoring in Computer Science at UC Berkeley
- One of the top rated student instructors in the EECS department
- Fifth place in repl.it "I Built This" competition for web-based video games.
- 2018 ARVO conference invitee for my work on laser ophthalmoscopes.
- One of the youngest people to be invited to an international vision science conference (@ 19 years old)
- Third author on ARVO conference publication "ReVAS: An open-source tool for eye motion extraction from retinal videos obtained with scanning laser ophthalmoscopy"
- 2018 SURF Rose Hills Research Fellow
- World Finalist in the 2018 Microsoft Imagine Cup
- I will be interning with the NLP/Search team at ThoughtSpot for Summer 2019.
- 2008: I have a swimming accident, and as a result I can now wiggle my ears.
- 2008: I win the school Halloween costume contest as Headless Man.
- 2009: I hold my breath for over 2 minutes as part of a school science experiment.
- 2009: I go to Camp Arrowhead with my three best friends: to this day, still the most fun I've ever had.
- 2010: Swimming accident #2 leaves me with a scar across my heart. It is inevitably mistaken for a bullet wound.
- 2011: During a cello solo for orchestra, my music stand falls over and I improvise (really bad) music.
- 2012: I set the world record in Penguin Blast.
- 2012: My formal piano training comes to an end.
- 2013: I eat nothing but tangerines for 3 days at FBLA State.
- 2015: I learn to write different words with both hands at the same time.
- 2015: I touch Michael Phelps' foot in the warmup pool at ASCC.
- 2016: I meet Anthony Ervin at a swim meet (a few months before he won gold in Rio!)
- 2017: Prof. Anant Sahai kindly buys me a mango smoothie over Caviar.
- 2017: Prof. John DeNero kindly offers me an ice cream sandwich on a really hot day.
- 2018: My typing speed hits 121 WPM/531 CPM with 100% accuracy.
- 2018: I swallow a trace amount of ethidium bromide and survive.
- 2018: Prof. Pieter Abbeel visits my house for a housewarming party.
- 2018: Prof. Paul Hilfinger gratuitously hands me and my friend Albert a cheese pizza in Soda.
I am a third-year at UC Berkeley studying Computer Science and Neurobiology who works at the intersection between medicine and tech.
I do research in vision science and all things having to do with the genome of Chlamydia trachomatis.
The people and moments that mean the most to me are all tied to the Computer Science teaching community at Berkeley.
I play ridiculously difficult renditions of songs from movies on the piano. After I completed Level 10 CM I abandoned my classical training to focus on music that would make people smile.
Derek is an incredible TA, I can tell he genuinely cares about our success and loves teaching. If he can't figure out a problem while he's with a student, he emails them with a follow up furthering explanations or solutions, which I find extremely helpful. He really goes above and beyond for his students.Anonymous student feedback | CS61A | Spring 2018
He explains things well and makes himself very approachable. I can tell he's very invested in his students, even just from the attendance surveys. I feel like I'm in good hands.Anonymous student feedback | CS61A | Summer 2018
Derek is the best GSI I've ever had at Berkeley. Smart guy, same age as me, can connect with easily.Anonymous student feedback | CS61A | Spring 2018
Derek was very caring and sometimes stayed after class if we still had any questions left. I enjoyed his discussion sessions whenever I attended them.Anonymous student feedback | CS61A | Spring 2018
Bring[s] in extra, interesting material, provid[es] relevant outside questions about past midterms... He is doing everything great.Anonymous student feedback | CS61A | Fall 2017
Here are some interesting things I've worked on over the years.
Average number of my students who get an A- or better.
Lab research projects
Lines of code contributed to projects.
Hours of teaching
Connect with me!
If you'd like to talk, don't hesitate to shoot me an email at email@example.com!